Saturday, February 20, 2010

Date Night Observations

Last Thursday was our first date night since Camy was born. We celebrated my birthday and Valentine's Day by going out to dinner and then to a Cirque du Soleil show. A gave me the Cirque tickets for my birthday and arranged for my mom to watch the Little One. Date nights have taken on a new meaning since becoming a mama.. and here are a few things I learned.
  • Getting all dolled up is no longer good for my self esteem. 
  • I have way more grey hair than I thought! Mommy needs her hair dyed!
  • Being able to wear my pre-pregnancy jeans does not mean that my pre-pregnancy dresses will zip past my hips. And even if they did, they certainly wouldn't fit over my boobs!
  • Putting on makeup is not like riding a bike. You can in fact forget how to do it after being long out of practice.
  • My post-partum hair loss has left me in ponytails for the last several weeks to avoid picking stray hairs off myself every minute of every day. I wore my hair down for date night, and I'm fairly certain that my every move could have been traced by the trail of hair I'm sure I left behind. How am I not bald?
  • When leaving Camy with my mother for the evening, I forget that she raised me and end up giving her a ridiculously detailed spiel about how and what to do with Camy and when. 
  • My mom nods and says "Okay" to humor me when its obvious what she really wants to say is "Becky. Chill. I got this!". 
  • It doesn't matter how excited I may be about our date night plans, walking out the door without Camy is hard
  • After spending 99.5% of the last 5 months, 3 weeks and 4 days with Camy, its hard to NOT talk about baby stuff all the time.
  • My husband is endlessly patient with me and my Mommy Separation Anxiety. Man, I love him for that. 
  • I had forgotten how nice it is to finish a meal while its still hot.. and be able to eat with 2 hands!
  • Breastfeeding has turned me into a lightweight. Half of an Italian Margarita was more than enough.
My most important observations:
  • It does not make me a bad mother to take time out for myself and my marriage. In fact, it makes me a better mother. Getting out of the house and being able to chat and laugh with A was wonderful. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I have seriously neglected our marriage since becoming a mother, and date night made me realize how much I've missed our friendship.
  • Camy is/will be fine being away from me for a short time every once in a while. I'm not the only one capable of meeting her needs.. I need to let others do so from time to time!

1 comment:

  1. Love your observations--especially the last two! So glad you had the chance to get out and remember those things. :-)

    ReplyDelete