Saturday, January 23, 2010

I'd like you to meet someone.






This is Hiram.
[pronounced High - Rum]


She was a gift from a family I have worked for the last 7 years (wow, it has been seven years!).
I nannied their first born daughter, M, from 9 months old until she was 2 years old and entered preschool.
M had this pink, stuffed bunny that she was attached to from very early on. Every where she went, her bunny tagged along. If she got a boo-boo, the bunny made it better. If she was sick, the bunny was an all-day companion, not just a naptime friend. She just adored this bunny.. carried it around by the ears, tucked it under her arm to play, it went in the car, to the doctor, everywhere.
When she was old enough to babble, she named her bunny Hiram. And it stuck.
Over time, Hiram started becoming a little tattered and torn. Her parents realized they needed a duplicate and ordered another one.. and at first, they kept one hidden and would rotate them out for cleaning or just for evening out the wear and tear. One day M discovered the spare and from then on wanted both with her at all times. But the duplicate didn't need its own name or identity, it was just Hiram.
Eventually 2 Hirams became three, then five, then 6 regular sized Hirams and one giant Hiram... and I think that's the current tally. 7 Hirams. All in her bed with her every night, still to this day.
Her first Hiram's ear is embroidered with her name. Her second Hiram's ear is embroidered Hiram, and from there it was Hiram III, Hiram IV, etc. Its pretty funny, and absolutely adorable.
When her twin sisters came along, they knew they needed Hirams for the new babies, too!
So M picked out a blue one for Baby G and a yellow one for Baby A. Their current tallies are 2 Hirams each, but they call their bunnies "Hummy". They have the same level of attachment and adoration to their Hummy's as M has to her Hirams. Its amazing.
When the twins were born, I returned to work for the family for another 2 years until I could no longer work through my own pregnancy. So I was a big part of their day-to-day lives for many years, meaning I had a very up-close and personal relationship with all the Hirams and Hummy's.
When my own sweet baby was born, they invited me over one day to visit and Camy and I went over to spend the day with the girls.
I was THRILLED when I opened a gift from them to discover Camy's very own Hiram.
I even got a little teary about it.
It is the sweetest gift they could possibly give us.
Hiram/Hummy has brought so much joy to their girls, so its no surprise to me that Camy is in love with hers, too!
Baby girl is big enough and strong enough now to roll and grab her Hiram in her crib, and I can always catch a few minutes of Camy-Hiram playtime on the video monitor before Camy falls asleep.
This was today's Hiram adventure... and I just had to run in and interrupt "nap time" to get some pictures of it!







She loves that bunny.
And it warms my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment