Sunday, January 17, 2010

20 Weeks.


20 Weeks Then.
The first twenty weeks of our pregnancy was long. In the beginning it felt like the halfway mark was a lifetime away. Hearing "twenty weeks" sounded odd.. like we would never be there.
We got there eventually, after a lot of sickness and suffering.
We were overjoyed to be halfway through.
We were overjoyed to learn that we were having a baby girl.
And we now felt like "40 weeks" was yet another lifetime away.
That twenty weeks (19 weeks and 1 day, actually) went by much faster than the first.. but still at a snail's pace in comparison to how quickly our first twenty weeks as Mommy and Daddy flew by.

This past Wednesday marked Camy's 20 week birthday.
I couldn't believe it.
Where have the last 20 weeks (and 3 days) gone?
It really does feel like we just brought her home. In so many ways.
But in other ways, I don't remember what life was like before her. I feel like she's been my little angel forever. I feel like an old pro by now, when really, we're really just getting started at this whole parenthood thing!

20 weeks now.
Amazing!
Camy celebrated her 20 week birthday by sleeping in her own crib, in her own room, for the first time at night. The night before she woke us up (what felt like) every 15 minutes. Not crying. Not hungry. Just squirming. And by "squirming" what I mean is scooting herself down off her pillow (yes, her pillow) and rotating her sweet little body 90 freaking degrees, or until she was totally perpendicular to Andy and I. That meant one of us would have her head sweetly on our shoulder, and the other would have her feet in our ribs. She usually saved the kicking for me, Daddy got the cuddling. I would wake up to a swift kick in the side, carefully rotate her back up onto her pillow and go to sleep.. only to be roused awake the same way again. And again. And again. It was (sadly) time for a change.
She had long been sleeping through the night, but I worried that the drastic change in scenery and company would throw her off track. She proved me wrong! Night one in her crib took 27 minutes to get her to sleep (not bad!), and she only had one partial-waking/binkie call at 230am. I stumbled across the hall (from the guest room where we were sleeping to be close to her!) and replaced the binkie, and we all went back to sleep til about 7am!
Night two took almost an hour to get her to sleep, but that's okay. Again she had one binkie call in the 2 o'clock hour, this time taking a few minutes to settle back down. She woke up at 6am this time, and we brought her to bed with us where we slept an extra hour and a half all cuddled together in the guest bed (again).
Night three was difficult getting her down, took an hour and a half, but I was flying solo which may have had something to do with the struggle? But this time.. no night waking!!! She slept straight through from 930pm to 630am, then came to bed with us and slept another hour!!!!
Awesome!

:)
We can't wait to see what the next 20 weeks has in store for our family!
The last 3 twenty-wk spans have each been amazing in their own way, but each exponentially more joyful than the one before.
The next is sure to outdo them all. This I know.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post (and am stealing the idea in, oh...a week or two). :-)

    ReplyDelete