That glorious Wednesday at home that I posted?
Fail.
My to-do list of sleeping and catching up on shows, and cleaning, and blogging, and party-prepping?
Fail.
That couple's massage we were SO LOOKING FORWARD TO?
Fail.
Around 12:30 that day, I got a call from Cam's school nurse that she was wheezing pretty badly and they could not get her nebulizer to work. I hauled bottom to the school, tinkered with the neb, and couldn't get it to work right. So then we hauled bottom home to give her the breathing treatment she had been in need of for going on 45 minutes at that point.
Her o2 numbers were low, her wheezing did not improve with the treatment, she was coughing a lot, and I couldn't figure out what to do for her. So we called the allergist, changed up her meds a bit, and made an appt for the following morning.
We cancelled our massage and stayed close to home, trying to keep her breathing in check over night.
At the allergist's office, her o2 was still a tad on the low side and her breath sounds were pretty bad. He prescribed some oral steroids for her, again.. but didn't want to wait to get them started, so he gave her a dose right there in the office.
We went home, followed his instructions, and waited for her to improve.
Except she didn't.
We ended up in the ER the following morning, Friday. Her o2 was fluctuating, but going lower than what we had seen it at home. The breathing treatments they gave didn't do much to help her, and they dosed her again with the 'roids. Nose swab to test for flu and RSV, chest x-ray (FOURTH one!) to check for pneumonia.. and we waited. And she coughed. And wheezed. And played with latex gloves. And drove us crazy in that tiny room.
Then they confirmed she had RSV. For at least the third, if not the fourth, time. GEEZ.
Sent us home, gave us new instructions for when to worry, and again, she didn't really improve.
That night her o2 sats dropped way down and stayed down for nearly 2 hours.. and I was seriously in a panic. I was just about to load her up and go back to the ER, but her numbers started improving. Thank goodness. Her allergist, who we had been in touch with overnight, wanted her to be seen Saturday morning on account of the crazy o2 episode.. so we took her to see the NP at her pedi's office Saturday morning.
At the pedi, her breath sounds were better, but -SURPRISE- her ears were infected. Super.
That antibiotic was the seventh medication we were giving her that weekend. Seven meds, each day. Multiple times a day, and we still weren't seeing a lot of improvement.
Beyond frustrating.
Sunday was up and down. Monday was mostly up. Tuesday her and I both returned to school.
And she spiked a fever. UGH!
Tuesday night was AWFUL again, so she stayed home with Daddy on Wednesday, but had a great day.
And now here we are, 8 days into this crap and she is finally back to her old self. Let's hope it lasts more than 24 hours this time.
***Oh, andplusalso, there have been 2 other cases of RSV at her school in the last week, a case of Strep, a case of Fifths Disease, and.. wait for it.. a confirmed case of Pertussis. Oh. Em. Geeeee. So, we are on Pertussis Watch 2012 until Feb 10th, which was when the state Dept of Health said the risk would go down. Oh, super. I have to go have a Pertussis test because I came in direct contact with the kid who had it. Yay. That's what my asthmatic, fresh-offa-RSV baby needs to get right now. The friggin' Whooping Cough. Yeah!***
Seriously woman. Germ-free bubble. For all of yous. Make it happen.
ReplyDelete