Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My little girl is getting so big!

No, really.. she is! She gained 11oz in the last 7 days bringing her up to 8lbs 12oz! Woohoo! She has surpassed her birth weight by 9oz already. I am so proud of my little cuddle bug.
Some Week 2 Updates:
Week 2 was much easier on us all.
Camryn is now an exclusively breast fed baby (hooray!) and she clearly eats like a champ, given her weight gain and newly acquired chub. We are looooving the chub!
Her jaundice has cleared up, and she is now beginning to have good periods of alert time during the day.
She is sleeping great at night at this point, though I know that will change soon. As it is now, she sleeps and sleeps and Mommy wakes up needing to feed her after 4-5 hours. I wonder how long she would continue to sleep if I didn't wake her...?
About the sleeping situation - I always said I would never be bed-sharing Mama, but I have had to eat my words. We have a cosleeper attached to bed where I can literally keep my hand on her all night long if I wanted to, but I still don't sleep very well with her way over there. I wake often to peek at her, and sleep fitfully when I am able to doze off. So to remedy that, she sleeps in between me and Andy. I put a pillow between us then Camy sleeps propped up on my arm, all snuggled up to me. I love the cuddle time with her and I sleep so much better having her so near. So I have certainly learned not to make anymore "I'll never..." statements when it comes to parenting.. we are just going to do what works for us. And for now, bed sharing is working wonderfully.
We have been slowly easing into cloth diapering with Baby Camy. We put it off longer than we had planned because of the formula supplementation, but now that she is exclusively on breast milk, we have been putting her in CD's during the day. The diapers seem a little bulky on her tiny little bum and skinny legs, but so far, everything has worked out very well. I am excited for the day we can make the jump to all CD's all the time, but we aren't rushing into it quite yet. We are still facing a few obstacles with my recovery, so we don't want to put too much work on our shoulders too soon.

Yesterday was Camy's 2 Week Well-Check at the Pediatrician.. and we got a great report! Of course the doctor was very impressed and pleased with her weight gain. He noted how much better her color looks and that the whites of her eyes are already looking much healthier (the eyes are the last to lose the yellow tinge from jaundice). He was happy to hear that she made the switch from supplementing to nursing so seamlessly, and he was surprised to hear how well she was sleeping at night.. no day/night confusion here (knock on wood!).
The one thing he talked to us about that we weren't expecting was that he picked up a PPS heart murmur. He assured us that this type of murmur is very, very common in newborns and that she will most likely outgrow the murmur by her 6 month well-check. We will just need to listen very carefully at her appts between now and then, and be mindful of certain symptoms that might indicate trouble. But he wanted to make it very clear to us that she is very healthy and doing very well and that we shouldn't worry ourselves over that minor finding.
If Camy continues to do as well as she has been, we don't have to go back until her 2 month well-check! What a relief after being there a few times a week so far.

A Mommy Update:
I will spare the gory details and just say that we learned yesterday during an ultrasound that unfortunately I have retained placenta. I am going into surgery tomorrow morning bright and early to resolve that situation and hope to have a quick and painless recovery (as I have been promised by my doctor). Camy will stay home with my mom while Andy and I are at the hospital, and she will be bottle-fed pumped milk while I am away. We are hoping that she goes right back to breast-feeding once I am able to nurse again (4 hrs post-op), just as she did after the supplementation.


Week 2 Photo Post Coming Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment