Our third week as a family of three was a hectic one. Never a dull moment.
We got word on Wednesday (her 2 week birthday) that I needed to have surgery Friday the 11th to remove some retained placenta, so Thursday was spent with me super-pumping in preparation of being away from Camy Lou for a while. All day long, literally, I was either nursing or pumping.
Nurse. Burp. Swaddle. Pump. Quick Rest.
Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Good times.
Andy and I left for the hospital bright and early (515) for surgery.
This trip to CPRMC in the wee hours of the morning was in stark contrast to the other predawn hospital drive in terms of emotions and anxiety. The first trip was exciting, this one was nerve-wracking. The first one would result in us bringing our baby home for the first time, this one involved leaving her home for the first time.
Not fun for me.
My biggest concern was not over the procedure itself, but the general anesthesia. I had never been under general before, and after the debacle with my epidurals, I was terrified something would go wrong. But all was well.. my handled the drugs just as it was supposed to, and with very little side effects (no nausea/vomiting! YAY!). PreOp was an emotional roller coaster for me, surgery was quick and painless, and the same-day recovery was easier than I anticipated.
We got home from the hospital just before lunch, and I was happy to be back with my baby girl!
My recovery since then has been slow and sometimes difficult.. but all in all, things are much better now.
I have to stay off my feet as much as possible because the amount of blood loss I endured that week and in surgery has left me lightheaded and often very dizzy and weak. I can't be on my feet for more than a few minutes at a time, so there are definitely difficulties that arise in caring for a newborn that way. But we're making it, and everyday gets a little easier.
Needless to say, not many photos were taken Thursday and Friday of Week 3.. sad sad.
Saturday was our first (and so far, only) Tummy Time adventure, as documented below.
Sunday was exciting (read: exhausting) -- we got to go introduce Camryn to her new BFF, Annabelle!
Annabelle was born Friday the 11th, and we were very eager to go visit her and her Mommy and Daddy. So we loaded up our little Princess and headed up to the hospital. Annabelle is quite the beauty, with a full head of *long* dark hair!
It was an odd feeling being back in a Post Partum wing.. it felt like ages since we had been in that position, though it had only been 2 1/2 weeks. I felt like we had come so far since those first few days of joy and sleep-deprivation, like we had already learned and achieved so much since then.
Andy and I both had the answers this time, rather than being the ones asking the questions.
We both had much more confidence in diapering and dressing, swaddling and feeding.
We weren't the fumbling new parents anymore, in that room we were the seasoned vets!
It was kind of nice! :)
K&K were at the top of their game though.. they were doing great! It was so wonderful to see them experiencing the joy only a new parent can truly understand. I am so glad we have been able to share this journey with them, pregnancy to parenthood. And I cannot wait to watch our little girls grow up together!
After visiting with them, we headed over to my mom's house so Camryn could meet her Aunts from Baltimore. That visit is also documented below.
Monday was a day of recuperation for me, I really overdid it on Sunday and felt the effects all Sunday night and into the day Monday. Again, we missed a day of pictures. I really need to get better about that!
Tuesday my mom spent the day with us to help me out, and offered to give Camy her bath for me.
If you recall from last week, our little Camy Lou loved just chilling in her tub but did not love being washed. But when Nona bathes her, she's perfectly content! What's up with that?
Maybe it was the fact that Nona was singing "Rubber Ducky" to her the whole time? Camy just stared at her wide-eyed through the whole thing.. it was so funny.
In this one, she even looks like she's laughing a little! Silly Nona.
The big news for Tuesday was that Camryn wore her first "3 months" size outfit! With the particular brand she wore (Carter's), "3 months" is the equivalent to most brands' "0-3"... so that's what I'm going to call it. "0-3". Sounds much better to me than "3 months". I'm not ready for to be in "3 months"... the little babe is only 3 *weeks*! (And by "only 3 weeks" I mean, "THREE weeks, already?!") ::tear::
Wednesday was the big Three Week Birthday!
We celebrated by trying out her swing (thanks Murrays!).
That evening Daddy got behind the camera for the Three Week Chair photos...
She's still our tiny little baby in a big ol' chair!
The Murray's let us borrow their baby scale when we were dealing with Camy's jaundice, so we decided to see where she topped the scales at 3 weeks, and although this is not an official weigh-in (therefore will not be documented in the sidebar), she hit a whopping 9 1/2 pounds!! You go, Camy! :) That is up 1 pound and 5 ounces from her birthweight. Hooray!!
A few things to note from week three:
~Camy started sleeping in her cosleeper between nighttime feeds. Such a big girl! She tends to spend the first 2 stretches of sleep in her cosleeper just fine, but by the early morning feed she's ready for some sleepy-cuddles (and so is Mommy), so she stays in bed with us for the final stretch of sleep.
~Camy spent most of her days in cloth diapers this week! :)
~Camy projectile-pooped on the carpet in her room. I was having to change her diaper on the floor because of my lightheadedness on my feet.. and just as I was getting ready to put a new diaper on her (on her 3 wk bday), she decided she wasn't quite done yet. Lovely. It got on Mommy, the changing pad, and the carpet. Ick.
~Camy's other BFF was born on Tues the 15th, Miss Alina, but we haven't had a chance to visit with them yet. That is on our agenda for today and I cannot wait to go meet her! :)
~Camy spends more time alert between meals now, and I love watching her expressions change as she listens to me talk or sing, or as she studies her surroundings.
No comments:
Post a Comment